Wednesday 15 February 2012

Birthday.

So today (yes I have noted the change of the title) is my birthday! And because I’m the person I am, I love birthdays! Today is my 31st, and I’m just as excited about this one as I was my 21st, my 18th, 16th…well you get the idea! I have been blessed today with so many cards and messages wishing me a happy day and love – which  if I’m honest, it has overwhelmed me slightly.

God has blessed me in abundance over the 31 years –in the 16 years before I knew him personally and the following 15. It’s not always been plain sailing, and the walk has not always been easy – but God has always bought me through, resulting in me having stronger faith, yet allowing myself to be weaker and more reliant on Him.

So, today, I’m going to share some of the stuff that I’ve learnt along the way. It’s not rocket science, and it’s certainly not ground breaking stuff, but it’s the kind of stuff, that if people had shared with me before, maybe the journey would have been a bit easier.

When I decided at the age of 16 that I wanted to become a follower of Jesus, I was mistaken in assuming that this was going to be bit like rubbing a lamp, and a genie making my wishes come true and my life would be sorted from then on. Following Jesus is not like that. It never has been. And it never will be. And, with hindsight, actually, I think I’m glad. I wish someone had said to me that, yes choosing Him is the best thing I will ever do, and that it will be a non-stop adventure – BUT it is not going to solve my problems overnight – that’s just not who Jesus is – I’m not saying He couldn’t – I’m just saying He doesn’t – not in my experience anyway.

So, why am I glad that it’s not an easy ride?

Because…

Without the tough stuff, there is no way that I would have discovered that God’s plan is better and bigger than I could ever imagine.

I have been guilty of limiting God, and trying to fit him into my plan, which when I realise that’s not God wants or had intended for me hurts and yes, I have been known to even have a little tantrum… however, once I stopped, and listened to God, gave in, and let go… God stepped in and blew me away with how much more amazing and fulfilling HIS plans for me are. He is God of the immeasurably more.

Because…

Without the tough stuff, I would not have the passion I have, and I certainly wouldn’t be the person I now am.

There has been stuff that’s happened that yes affected me greatly, yes that I wish hadn’t and yes that at moments I have questioned where was God in them. Yet, having spent time with a friend dealing with these, finding the strength through God to forgive people involved, myself and God in a sense. I found that firstly I didn’t have to be perfect – because God is. I discovered that I don’t have to be strong all the time, because God is. God made it plain that I don’t have to have it all together, because He does.

But I suppose the biggest challenge I’ve faced and have come to realise over the years of me journeying with God, is that first and foremost I am a child of His. Every day I am reminded that He is bigger than me, He is stronger than me, and He loves me greatly. I am insignificant, and He is awesome. Yet, He loves me, because He loves me, because He loves me.

He will never love me because of the stuff I’ve done – or not done. He will never love me because of the things I can do for him. He loves me because I am a child of His, created by Him, for Him and in His image. That’s it. Full stop.

So when you’re next talking to someone about becoming a follower of Jesus, tell them the amazing stuff, but make sure you tell them about counting the cost – it will not be the easiest journey they have ever been on, and there will be times when you feel like you are journeying through the desert – BUT it is the most adventurous, rewarding, fulfilling, exciteing, passionate journey ever. And above all it’s worth it.

Don’t wait 31 years to figure this out –

Do it today.

Happy Birthday me.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Vicky! Good post - totally agree and really recognise my own experiences in what you've said.

    Much love xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very timely post (not that it's all about me, but....). Thanks, happy Birthday Vicky!

    ReplyDelete