Monday 20 February 2012

Giving up.


So the other day I’m having a conversation with a really good friend saying how much I miss reading, I miss reading books that make you think all day, make you wish you could just get home to read another chapter. I spent most of the conversation wishing I had more time to read, more time to just be, more time to think. I wish I was able to just spend time in God’s word, not reading it just for quiet times in the morning, but getting deeper in it because I hunger and thirst for it.

As I walked away, I pondered; why I didn’t have as much time, why I didn’t have the same inclination to read as I always had done. I used to love nothing more than getting home and reading – I would read all evening, and well into the night.

And that’s when it hit me, I didn’t sit down anymore to read, I’d spend the time looking at my phone or tablet checking Facebook and Twitter. And it’s not like I was really taking in that much information or finding it that interesting – I just do it out of habit. It’s not a bad habit particularly, but it’s a habit that steals my time.

It steals my time from God.

It steals my time from Life.

It steals my time from me.

I’m not generally one for giving up things for Lent, but this year it’s different. I have decided this year for Lent I will be giving up Social Media. It’s not going to be easy, and there are going to be times where I fail, or come close to failing, but if I can claim back even a fraction of the time Social Media takes up, well then it will have been worth it.

A few years ago I was away on a youth weekend away and I was having a conversation with some girls about how they don’t have time to read the Bible. When I challenged them about what was taking up their time they quoted things like coursework, parents, boyfriends. So I posed them a question – “How much time do you spend on Facebook?” According to them, they reckoned about 18 hours a week…. So my answer was “I think we’ve discovered what’s stealing your focus”!

And after having given the advice back then, my own advice has found its way back to me.

In Hebrews 12 it says about throwing off everything that hinders, everything that steals our focus, everything that steals our time from the race that God has set before us.

So, for the next 40 days I’m ‘throwing off’ Social Media.

I’m giving up.

I’m giving in.

My challenge to you is what is it that you need to throw off to be unhindered in your hunger for God?

What’s stealing your focus from the one who made you…… and what will you do about it?

See you in 40 days.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this honest & challenging post. I'm not a great one for giving things up for Lent. The only thing I ever gave up which has stuck for life was sugar in my tea & coffee.

    I know that social media takes an increasing amount of my time, but that's mostly because I find useful articles, nuggets of info, wisdom, challenge (like this one!), etc. Many lead to inspiration, reflection, new ideas and new pieces of work. If I gave that up for Lent I'd be the poorer for it.

    I had decided to read Richard Foster's 'Celebration of Discipline' through Lent. But you've made me reflect a little, and I've decided to cut down my Twitter feed too. I'll only follow & interact with a small subset of people instead of the usual multitude.

    Praying that God blesses your time through Lent. Enjoy reading & soaking in Him!
    God bless...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. totally agree Ricky and i did spend some weeks rationalising why i shouldn't/couldn't give it up. There are positive ways that i use it, and i find peoples posts challengeing and love the way that it is a medium of connecting God's Family in a way that has never been possible before.

      As a youth worker, both FB and T are brilliant resources, and i really love the different element they bring to what i do.

      But as God reminded me, He, The World and Youth Work existed and coped before FB and T did - so i may just about cope.

      I have to be honest, i'm not looking forward to it in a way as i know it's going to be a massive challenge, however, i'm also looking forward to the time it's going to give me.

      Thanks for your comments, and i'm really pleased that it made you think - and be challenged -

      'See' you at Easter Ricky!

      PS do Blogs count as social Media!?!

      Delete